Hampshire & Isle of Wight

Wildern School closes due to chlorine gas leak

Wildern School chlorine leak
Image caption It is understood the chlorine leak came from a pump

A secondary school in Hampshire has been closed after a chlorine gas leak from its swimming pool.

Wildern School in Hedge End was evacuated after a leak was discovered in a chlorine pump.

Assistant headteacher Graham Simpson said staff and members of the public using the school's leisure centre were ordered out, but very few pupils had arrived.

The 2,000-pupil school should reopen on Monday.

Mr Simpson said the school's leisure centre manager spotted the leak first thing and alerted the fire brigade.

"The leak from from the chlorine pump has reacted with some other chemicals and created a chlorine gas," he said.

A cordon has been placed around the school while safety checks are carried out.

The school has a 25m, (82ft) four-lane swimming pool and learner pool which is open to the public out of school hours.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites