Wildern School reopens following chlorine gas leak
A Hampshire secondary school which was closed after a chlorine gas leak from its swimming pool is back to normal.
Wildern School in Hedge End was evacuated on Friday after a leak was discovered in a chlorine pump.
A cordon had been placed around the 2,000-pupil school while safety checks were carried out. This has since been removed.
Assistant head teacher Graham Simpson said: "The area has been cleaned and is perfectly safe."
The school's community-use pool, its leisure centre and its arts facility have also now reopened.
Mr Simpson said the school's leisure centre manager spotted the leak first thing and alerted the fire brigade.
"The leak from the chlorine pump reacted with some other chemicals and created a chlorine gas," he said.
The school has a 25m, (82ft) four-lane swimming pool and learner pool which are normally open to the public out of school hours.