Hampshire & Isle of Wight

Man in hospital after flat fire in Portsmouth

Windsor House
Image caption The fire in the third floor flat is thought to have started in the lounge

A man in Portsmouth has been taken to hospital for treatment after a flat fire on the third floor of a six-storey tower block.

Four fire crews were called Windsor House, Canal Walk, earlier.

Fire officer Jason Avery said a breathing apparatus team had searched the flat and had managed to rescue a man from the property.

Firemen also found a white parakeet and two African Grey Parrots dead in the property but saved a tortoise.

The fire is thought to have started in the flat's lounge.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites