Hampshire & Isle of Wight

Southampton student halls evacuated during fire

A student halls of residence in Southampton had to be evacuated after a fire broke out in a bedroom.

About 25 firefighters tackled the fire at Chantry Student Residence in Marsh Lane on Wednesday night.

Nobody was hurt and the students living in the flats were later allowed back into the building.

A spokeswoman for Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service said the fire started in a fifth-floor bedroom and the cause was thought to be accidental.

Pete Clark, crew manager at St Mary's fire station, said: "The fire was confined to that room due to fire doors and the guys all shut the doors behind them which was a good thing to do.

"The bedroom was completely destroyed."

The Chantry halls belong to Southampton Solent University and have 208 bedrooms.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites