Hampshire & Isle of Wight

Alarm 'saves lives of Southampton family in house fire'

The lives of a family of three were saved by a smoke alarm which activated during a blaze at a house in Southampton, the fire service has said.

The fire broke out at a house in Rampart Road, Bitterne Manor, at 02:55 GMT while the family was asleep.

The three victims, who escaped before the fire service arrived, were taken to hospital with smoke inhalation.

Eighteen firefighters, wearing breathing apparatus, extinguished the blaze with one jet and two hose reels.

The cause of the blaze is not being treated as suspicious, the fire service said.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites