Hampshire & Isle of Wight

Isle of Wight sea fall boy was Olympic hopeful

Charlie Hutton
Image caption Charlie Hutton was a talented hockey player who hoped to represent his country

The parents of a teenager who died after being hit by a boat propeller off the Isle of Wight have paid tribute to their "beautiful and talented" son.

Charlie Hutton, 14, from Surrey, was killed after falling from a boat near The Needles on Friday.

The teenager and another 14-year-old fell overboard as the boat travelled to the island from Mudeford in Dorset.

His parents described him as an "amazing field hockey player" who hoped to represent Britain in the Olympics.

Charlie's father, Simon Hutton, 52, who owned the rigid-hulled inflatable boat (RHIB) and another 14-year-old boy were also on board at the time of the incident.

'Closest friends'

A statement released by Mr Hutton and his wife, Gill, said Charlie was a pupil at Whitgift School in South Croydon who loved the sea and water sports.

"His life touched many people and we know school friends will be devastated," the statement said.

"Two of his closest friends were with him when he died and I hope they remember the great times and laughs we had with Charlie in his final few days in Dorset."

Image caption Rescue efforts took place between the coastguard helicopter and Yarmouth lifeboat off The Needles

The couple described their son as "academically bright, an accomplished musician and an amazing field hockey player who had trained with the England under-15 team and had hoped to reach the England under-16 team this year, with the ambition of eventually playing for Britain in the Olympics in 2020".

'Remembrance event'

They said: "His effort, passion and self-belief would surely have taken him there. With Ashley Jackson as his hero on the field, we hope that this same passion will help Great Britain win gold this year for Charlie and the country."

Mr and Mrs Hutton said they hoped to hold a private remembrance event for family and friends when his school reopened after the summer.

The Solent Coastguard helicopter and the Yarmouth RNLI lifeboat were both involved in the rescue operation after a 999 call was received at 16:49 BST on Friday.

Hampshire police said the second boy was also hurt when he fell into the sea. He was taken to St Mary's Hospital on the Isle of Wight to receive treatment for an injury, which was serious but not life threatening.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites