Eastleigh by-election: Boris Johnson attacks Lib Dems
- 21 February 2013
- From the section Hampshire & Isle of Wight
Boris Johnson joined the Eastleigh by-election battle, declaring "it is a Conservative's constitutional duty to kick the Liberal Democrats".
The mayor of London is the latest senior politician to visit ahead of next week's vote.
Mr Johnson met Conservative candidate Maria Hutchings and joined her going door-to-door to meet constituents.
Lib Dem schools minister David Laws said the forthcoming vote is serious and is "not about Boris Johnson".
During his visit to the Hampshire constituency, Mr Johnson described his party's coalition partners as the "Fib Dems" and called them "great big wobbling jellies of indecision".
But Mr Laws said: "It's about choosing somebody who's the right champion for Eastleigh in the future.
"It's not about Boris Johnson; it's about Mike Thornton and the other candidates."
Labour candidate John O'Farrell was also campaigning in Eastleigh, while UKIP announced that two former Lib Dem councillors have joined the party.
The full list of candidates in alphabetical order is:
- COLIN BEX - Wessex regionalists
- DAVID BISHOP - Elvis Loves Pets Party
- JIM DUGGAN - Peace Party
- RAY HALL - Beer, Baccy and Crumpet Party
- HOWLING LAUD HOPE - Monster Raving Loony William Hill Party
- MARIA HUTCHINGS - Conservative
- DIANE JAMES - UK Independence Party
- DR IAIN MACLENNAN - National Health Action Party
- KEVIN MILBURN - Christian Party "Proclaiming Christ's Lordship"
- JOHN O'FARRELL - Labour
- DARREN PROCTER - Trade Unionist and Socialist Coalition
- DANNY STUPPLE - Independent
- MIKE THORNTON - Liberal Democrats
- MICHAEL WALTERS - The English Democrats - "Putting England First!"