Historic No Man's Fort in the Solent re-opens as hotel
A 19th Century sea fort built to ward off French invaders which went on to survive two world wars has been re-launched as a hotel.
No Man's Fort, situated in the Solent about 1.5 miles (2.2km) off the Isle of Wight, once housed more than 70 soldiers.
Built between 1867 and 1880, it was one of four forts intended to protect Portsmouth.
It can now sleep 44 guests and hold up to 200 people at parties.
The Victorian structure was originally built when Prime Minister Lord Henry Palmerston commissioned five forts along the Solent's eastern approaches to defend the Royal Navy fleet at anchor in Portsmouth harbour.
Four remain today as one was abandoned during construction.
The granite and iron sea forts were built with cutting-edge Victorian engineering technology.
However they, along with other defensive forts along the south coast, were later dubbed "Palmerston's Follies" as the French threat never materialised.
During World War Two, gun emplacements on the forts formed part of Portsmouth's coastal artillery defences.
No Man's Fort also appeared in a 1972 episode of Doctor Who, as Jon Pertwee's Doctor fought aquatic menaces the Sea Devils.
It was eventually sold by the Ministry of Defence in the 1980s.
A previous owner was declared bankrupt after legionella bacterium was discovered at the fort in 2004 and it was bought for £4m in 2008.