Hampshire & Isle of Wight

Firefighters tackle Alresford fire station blaze

Alresford Fire Station

Emergency crews were called to tackle a blaze at one of their own fire stations.

Fire broke out in the drying room at Alresford Fire Station - a retained station - on Sunday morning.

It is thought the fire was caused by a fault with the drying cupboard heater on the ground floor.

No one was injured, but the building, which is also used by Hampshire Constabulary, was left without power.

More on this and other stories from across the South of England

Crews from Winchester, Hightown and Alton were called out at about 10:30 BST.

Hampshire Fire and Rescue said the ground floor was "severely smoke logged", but there was no serious damage and there was no one inside at the time.

Back-up generators have been brought in to enable police and fire crews to continue working as normal.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites