Hereford & Worcester

Elderly woman treated after Worcester flat fire

A woman in her 80s has been treated for smoke inhalation after a fire at a high rise flat in Worcester.

The blaze happened at Severn House, in St Clements Close, at about 1330 BST on Monday.

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman said the fire was on the fifth floor in an empty flat, which the elderly woman lived above.

He said the woman received treatment at the scene from ambulance crews and did not require hospital treatment.

A spokesman for Hereford and Worcester Fire Service said there was some disruption in the area as firefighters positioned an appliance across Tybridge Street to use as a safety platform.

He thanked residents whose cars were blocked in for their patience.

He added the fire is believed to have been caused by faulty electrical equipment.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites