Hereford & Worcester

Carbon monoxide warning after pet birds die

A woman became unwell and two pet birds died after a carbon monoxide leak at a home in Worcestershire.

The fire service has issued a reminder to people to have boilers and all gas appliances in the home checked on a regular basis following the incident.

Fire crews were called to Gibbons Crescent, in Stourport, at about 19:50 BST on Tuesday.

The woman was checked over by paramedics at the scene while the gas supply was disconnected to the house.

'Distressing incident'

Firefighters used a gas monitor to check carbon monoxide levels at the address and in neighbouring properties.

Station Commander Mark Strutt said: "The gas monitor recorded a flammable atmosphere in the kitchen area and so firefighters in breathing apparatus isolated the gas supply and then used positive pressure ventilation equipment to help clear the air."

He said the occupants of the house were advised to call out appliance engineers to carry out further safety checks.

He added: "This was a distressing incident for all those involved, and it serves as a reminder to us all of the importance of having boilers and other gas appliances in the home serviced on a regular basis by a qualified engineer."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites