Herefordshire Council jobs under threat as £23m cuts approved

Union members and protestors outside the council Unison has blamed the government's austerity programme

Related Stories

Almost 300 jobs could be lost at a council after cuts of £23m were approved.

Herefordshire Council has made budget reductions of £21.1m over the last two years. It has agreed to make the latest cuts over the next two years.

Plans to cut up to 120 jobs this year had already been announced by the authority.

Unison has called the planned cuts a "jobs massacre" and protestors were outside the council offices on Friday.

Maintain services

Steve Akers, from the union, said it would be working with the council to try and ensure that as many of the 290 jobs under threat are lost by "voluntary means".

The union blames the government's austerity programme.

The Conservative-led authority employs just over 1,000 people and said last month it had written to all staff informing them about the planned cuts.

Council leader, Tony Johnson, said the council will now be working out how it can stay within its budget and maintain "as many services as we can".

"We must invest in economic development , we must provide more jobs [and] a bigger income base for the council to get us less reliant on central government funding," he said.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Hereford & Worcester

Weather

Worcester

18 °C 12 °C

Features & Analysis

  • Cerro RicoSatanic mines

    Devil worship in the tunnels of the man-eating mountain


  • Nefertiti MenoeWar of words

    The woman who sparked a row over 'speaking white'


  • Oil pumpPump change

    What would ending the US oil export ban do to petrol prices?


  • Brazilian Scene, Ceara, in 1893Sir Snapshot

    19th Century Brazil seen through the eyes of an Englishman


Elsewhere on the BBC

  • SailingGame on

    BBC Capital discovers why certain sports seem to have a special appeal for those with deep pockets

Programmes

  • European Union's anti-terrorism chief Gilles de KerchoveHARDtalk Watch

    Anti-terrorism chief Gilles de Kerchove on the threat from returning Islamic State fighters

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.