Dead M5 pedestrian John Wood had been due in court for fraud

Delays John Wood's death caused long delays

Related Stories

A pedestrian killed when he was hit by a lorry on the M5 on Monday morning had been due to stand trial for fraud at Worcester Crown Court later that day.

John Wood, 59, from Birch Mews, Leeds, was struck between junctions 5 and 6, near Droitwich.

He was accused of stealing £78,000 from a fund Herefordshire Council had set up to pay for a new computer system.

The ex-financial consultant was also charged with stealing £35,000 while he was a project manager in East Anglia.

West Mercia Police said Mr Wood was found lying in one of the lanes on the southbound carriageway after he was hit at about 07:40 BST.

A spokeswoman said "It is not yet known why he was on the motorway."

West Midlands Ambulance Service said the man died at the scene.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Hereford & Worcester

Weather

Worcester

Min. Night 10 °C

Features & Analysis

Elsewhere on the BBC

Programmes

  • (File photo) A man dressed as Father Christmas with a sleigh and a reindeer Click Watch

    A website which tracks Father Christmas, plus other sites and apps to keep you entertained

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.