Powick landfill homes plan rejected
Plans to build 60 homes on a former landfill site in Worcestershire have been rejected by the local authority.
The proposals for Hospital Lane, in Powick, were unanimously turned down by Malvern District Council's planning committee on Wednesday evening.
Local Councillor Tom Wells said while plans had been backed by officers, further tests had revealed contamination including asbestos.
Developers Selbourne Homes has appealed the decision.
Mr Wells said he expected a three-day independent inquiry in May or June.
"The more information we gathered, the more clear it became that the landfill site was very much contaminated with all sorts of issues, not least asbestos," he said.
Selbourne Homes has yet to comment.