Humberside

Cigarette 'likely cause' of fatal Bridlington fire

L-R William, Anthony (AJ) and Maddie Hudson
Image caption The children's mother was seriously injured in the fire

A fire at a house in East Yorkshire in which three children died was probably caused by a cigarette, an investigation has found.

Maddie Hudson, three, Anthony Hudson, five, and William Beale, nine, died in the fire in Bridlington on 11 November.

Their mother was seriously injured and remains in hospital.

Humberside Fire and Rescue Service said they believed the most likely cause of the fire was a cigarette which had not been fully extinguished.

The fire broke out at the property in Clarence Avenue shortly before midnight on 11 November.

The children's mother, Samantha Hudson, 27, remains seriously ill in hospital and is unaware her children have died.

Police had said there was nothing to indicate the fire was started deliberately.

A Humberside Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: "Fire investigators have been working with the police and forensic experts and it has now been confirmed that the most likely cause of the fire was due to a cigarette which had not been fully extinguished."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites