Humberside

Humberside Fire Service warns of chimney fires

Humberside Fire and Rescue crews have been called to deal with four chimney fires in a 24-hour period.

Crews had to use breathing equipment to deal with two of the chimney fires as rooms had become smoke-logged.

A spokesman said fires in chimneys were usually started when high temperatures or flames reached deposits in outlets or the flue.

He said chimney fires could spread into a roof space or floor cavity and cause extensive damage.

Pete Baron, from Humberside Fire and Rescue said; "We would always recommend that those residents who do have a chimney in their home have it swept and checked before winter sets in.

"However, it is not too late and we would urge people to make sure it is clean and safe for use."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites