Humberside

Investigation after Hull smoke alarm catches fire

An investigation has started after a smoke alarm fitted by fire safety officers in Hull caught fire.

Humberside Fire and Rescue Service has stopped fitting the type of smoke detector involved in the fire, which was extinguished by the home-owner.

A spokesman said the detector had been removed from the ceiling because the low battery alarm was sounding.

The fire service is liaising with the manufacturer and investigating whether there have been similar incidents.

The home-owner put out the fire using a bucket of water. No-one was hurt.

The spokesman said it was believed there had been one other incident elsewhere in England which also involved a detector that had been removed from the ceiling.

He added: "As a precaution, the service has suspended fitting this type of detector until the outcome of the investigation is known.

"In the meantime the service will continue to carry out home fire safety visits for residents who need them.

"At this time there is no evidence of any fires nationally which have been caused by detectors that are correctly situated on ceilings and residents are urged not to remove them.

"If the low battery alarm activates on one the service has fitted people should leave it in situ and contact Humberside Fire and Rescue Service who will then arrange for it to be replaced."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites