Humberside

Coroner rules Hull flat explosion death accidental

House fire
Image caption Four firefighters hurt in the explosion on Beverley Road in March

The death of a man following an explosion at a Hull flat was accidental, a coroner has ruled.

Lewis Nicklin, 31, was rescued from the property on Beverley Road on 10 March. He later died in hospital.

The inquest at Hull Coroner's Court heard Mr Nicklin died from a combination of carbon monoxide poisoning and the effects of taking drugs.

Four firefighters suffered minor injuries in the blast.

More on this and other Hull stories

The court heard the explosion happened when a fire crew entered the kitchen to try and extinguish a cooker fire in Mr Nicklin's ground-floor flat.

The rush of oxygen into the room triggered a fireball which ignited the gas supply.

Fire investigation officer Andy Kamis told the court it was believed the initial fire was caused by alcohol wipes which were being heated in the oven.

Image copyright Nicklin family
Image caption Lewis Nicklin died from a combination of carbon monoxide poisoning and the effects of taking drugs

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites