Kent

Hot barbecue coals set fire to Ashford garden

Two fences, a shed and a greenhouse have been destroyed after a man put hot coals from a barbecue onto the compost heap in his garden in Kent.

Kent Fire and Rescue said the man, from Ashford, had gone indoors thinking the coals had cooled down, not realising leaves and vegetation were alight.

The flames spread to a large oak tree, which was severely damaged, and the rest of the garden on Saturday night.

Fire crews quickly brought the blaze under control.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites