Kent

Kent hospitals call off 'major incident procedure'

Kent & Canterbury Hospital
Image caption Patient numbers at the three hospitals in East Kent have begun returning to normal

A health trust has called off its "major incident procedure", which was put in place last week to concentrate on treating very sick patients.

The East Kent Hospitals Trust said it had seen "unprecedented" numbers of patients at its A&E departments in Ashford, Margate and Canterbury.

Consultants were asked to review patients and discharge those who could safely be allowed home.

The trust has now said patient numbers have started to return to normal.

On Friday, Dr Andrew Heller, divisional medical director, said the A&E units at the William Harvey Hospital, Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital, and Kent and Canterbury Hospital had seen demand double at some times of the day.

He added that, overall, there had been a 30% or 40% increase in patients with the main pressures at evenings and weekends.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites