Gravesend woman injured and pets die in fire

A pregnant woman has been taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation after a fire that killed several family pets.

The woman was not at home when the fire started in the lounge of the first floor flat in St Alban's Close, Gravesend, on Monday.

Two budgerigars, a canary and a cat were in the property at the time, Kent Fire and Rescue Service said.

The woman returned at about 21:15 GMT to find the flat filled with smoke.

Residents fled

She tried to make her way in to check on her pets and suffered smoke inhalation before calling 999.

Three other residents also fled their flats before fire crews arrived.

The blaze is thought to have been started by an unattended candle.

Crews spent almost two hours tackling the fire, which caused extensive damage to the flat.

The ground floor flat was also affected as well as the loft of the neighbouring property.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites