M20 collapsed bridge removal 'ahead of schedule'
Good progress has been made in removing the remains of a bridge that collapsed on the M20, the BBC has been told.
A footbridge over the motorway near Maidstone in Kent was hit by a lorry carrying a digger last weekend.
Work started on the removal operation on Friday night and is expected to be complete by 06:00 BST on Monday.
Travellers have been warned about delays on Kent's roads while a large part of the M20 is closed for the work on Saturday and Sunday.
Catherine Brookes, chief highways engineer at Highways England, said she was confident it would be cleared before Monday's rush hour.
She told BBC Radio Kent: "We are ahead of schedule already, everything is going to plan. The diversions we have put in place seem to coping quite well.
"We have got about 100 people working around the clock this weekend to make sure we have safely removed the remaining section of the footbridge. So far we are doing well."
The M20 was set to be closed between junctions 1 and 4 coast-bound and junctions 4 and 2 London-bound from Friday evening until 06:00 BST on Monday.
The collapsed section of the pedestrian bridge, near the village of Addington, was removed from the scene last weekend, and the road was reopened a day later.
The M20 is the main route to the Channel Tunnel and Port of Dover.
- The coast-bound M26 will also be closed from the M25 junction 5.
- Diversions will be in place via the A229 and M2/A2 to join the M25 at junction 2.
- Local traffic will be able to use the A20.
- Access to the A21 from the anti-clockwise M25 will also be closed with a diversion via junction 4.