Lancashire

Dog lead warning after Morecambe boy hurt in bike crash

Isaac Hargreaves' scar
Image caption The scarring to Isaac Hargreaves' neck after the accident

Dog owners should be more careful when using extendable leads, the father of a boy who fell off his bike when he cycled into one has said.

Isaac Hargeaves, seven, suffered a neck injury in the accident in the street near where he lives in Morecambe.

Hi father Darren said the leads should only be used in wide open spaces.

Morecambe Council said it was the "worst case" they had seen of this kind of incident.

"There's a use for them but not on highways," said Mr Hargreaves.

The accident happened in Salisbury Close, Heaton with Oxcliffe.

Mr Hargreaves explained: "Isaac did not see the lead and unfortunately when he came off he landed heavily on his head."

Image caption Isaac Hargreaves was wearing a cycling helmet

He said the dog owner was very distressed and vowed never to use an extendable lead again.

Susan Clowes, who is in charge of dog wardens at the council, urged owners to "use them considerately and appropriately" and preferably not in residential areas.

She said while the accident was an extreme case, it is not an isolated incident.

Ms Clowes stressed however, owners using retractable leads are not committing an offence.

"The law simply says a dog must be held on a lead," she added.

Isaac, who was wearing a helmet, has since recovered from his injuries. The incident, which happened in August, has just been publicised by the council.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites