Lancashire

Birds die in storage unit fire in Clitheroe

About 100 birds have died in a fire at a storage unit in Lancashire.

Firefighters were called to a unit attached to Ideal Pet Store in Woone Lane, Clitheroe, just after 0100 GMT.

Half of the building was destroyed in the fire. Birds in the neighbouring animal room were killed by the fumes, the fire service said.

Among them were cockatiels, lineolated parakeets, and rosy bourkes. The birds were worth a total of £1,600, shop manager Phillip Preston said.

Other pets in the room, including rabbits and guinea pigs, survived, Mr Preston said.

He said he had got more birds to sell, in time for people wanting them as Christmas gifts.

"It is upsetting to see them all like that," he said.

"It is not a nice sight to see - every bird on its back.

"You get upset if you lose one.

"I spend every day feeding them. I even come up on Christmas day."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites