Lancashire

Blackpool club blaze: 50 spend second night away

People who were evacuated from their homes in the early hours after a large fire broke out in central Blackpool are spending a second night away from home.

Fifty people were moved from 25 homes after a fire broke out at Blackpool Trades Club on Chadwick Street at 04:00 GMT.

They were provided with shelter and refreshments at a nearby community centre by Blackpool Council.

The two-storey building which was empty was attended by eight fire crews.

It has suffered extensive damage after the fire spread to the roof.

The fire service said that structural engineers had been at the cordoned-off site to assess the building and that one fire crew remained to ensure that the fire was put out.

Image caption Firefighters say the building is unsafe

A council spokeswoman said that many people had made plans to stay with friends or relatives, but that it was helping others to find overnight accommodation.

Club member Larry McGoldrick, said he was "devastated" by what had happened to the building.

"I'm very sad, it was part of the community in Central Drive," he added.

"For years and years it was the trades club, the TUC club and everything and it was a great club to go and have a drink in with a good bunch of people."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites