Lancashire

Royal Lancaster Infirmary resumes operations

A hospital which postponed operations to set up a mobile operating theatre to deal with an A&E crisis is resuming non-urgent procedures.

The Royal Lancaster Infirmary is introducing an "interim plan" to improve patient care.

Earlier this year the Care Quality Commission (CQC) criticised A&E staffing levels following an unannounced inspection in December.

Two wards have now been earmarked for short stay medical care.

The University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust (UHMBT) said it will be writing to patients whose operations were postponed.

As part of moves to relieve pressure on the emergency department, from Wednesday patients referred to the hospital by GPs will go to the Medical Assessment Unit.

Patients capable of walking will go to the Clinical Decisions Unit.

"We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your patience and co-operation during what has been a challenging time for our trust," said a trust statement.

The trust has been criticised for care at both Lancaster and Furness General in the past few months with critical reports from the CQC and Monitor.

Both the chair and chief executive have resigned in the past four months.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites