Lancashire

Toddler 'died in mattress accident' in Barnoldswick

A two-year-old boy died when he became trapped in his cot by a mattress, an inquest heard.

The upright mattress was being used as a vertical divider between Harrison Upton's bed and that of his brother, Caleb, four, when it fell on him.

Paramedics were called to his home in St Mary's Avenue, Barnoldswick, Lancashire, on 17 July last year but Harrison was already dead.

A verdict of accidental death was recorded at Burnley Coroner's Court.

It is thought the toddler was trying to climb out of his cot when the mattress overbalanced and forced him against the cot side.

Pathologist Dr Philip Lumb said there were several marks on the body consistent with contact to the cot.

He gave the cause of death as pressure to the neck and compression to the chest.

He said: "The evidence we have heard from Dr Lumb was that Harrison would have collapsed very quickly and would not have known very much about this.

"That may bring a little solace.

"I believe this was purely an accident."

The boy's parents were initially arrested on suspicion of murder but were exonerated following the post-mortem examination.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites