Lancashire

Liquid nitrogen cocktail: Oscar's Wine Bar in Lancaster faces Health & Safety charges

Oscar's Wine Bar in Lancaster Image copyright Google
Image caption Gaby Scanlon was celebrating her birthday at Oscar's Wine Bar in Lancaster

A wine bar is being prosecuted under Health and Safety laws after an 18-year-old woman who drank a cocktail containing liquid nitrogen needed to have her stomach removed.

Gaby Scanlon, from Heysham, Lancashire was celebrating her birthday at Oscar's Wine Bar in Lancaster in October 2012.

After drinking two Nitro Jagermeisters, she said her stomach started to expand.

Ms Scanlon was taken to Lancaster Royal Infirmary where a scan revealed it had a large perforation.

The student spent three weeks in hospital as doctors removed her stomach and connected her oesophagus directly to her small bowel.

Lancaster City Council said court proceedings will take place against the George Street wine bar, one of its directors and an employee.

A council statement said: "Andrew Dunn, of The Garden Village in Old Earswick, Yorkshire, has been summoned to court to answer charges under sections 3(1), 33(1)(a) and 37 of the Health and Safety at Work Act etc 1974 in relation to his role as a director of Oscar's Wine Bar.

"Matthew George Harding, of George Street in Lancaster, has also been summoned to court to answer charges under and breaches of sections 7 and 33(1)(a) of the Health and Safety at Work Act etc 1974 in relation to his role as an employee of Oscar's Wine Bar.

"The company, Oscar's Wine Bar Ltd, registered address of 39-42 Bridge Street, Swinton, South Yorkshire, has been summoned to court to answer charges under sections 3(1), and 33(1)(a) of the Health and Safety at Work Act etc 1974."

The first hearing will take place at Lancaster Magistrates' Court on 9 February.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites