Lancashire

Man and daughter burnt by 'improvised flame torch' in Colne

Chiminea in garden Image copyright Lancashire Fire and Rescue
Image caption The man made an "improvised flame torch" to light a garden chiminea, the fire service said

A man and his daughter have been injured while trying to light an outdoor heater using a deodorant aerosol and a cigarette lighter.

The man has "lost 70% of his vision" in his left eye and the girl suffered a minor burn to her hand, Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service said.

The father had made an "improvised flame torch" to light a garden chiminea in Duke St, Colne, Lancashire.

A build-up of flammable gas ignited and burnt the pair, the fire service said.

Both were treated at the scene by paramedics and taken to Royal Blackburn Hospital for treatment before being discharged.

The man has "currently lost 70% of his vision in the affected eye... hopefully this will improve as the injury heals", the fire service said.

It reminded people enjoying the "current fine weather" that liquids such as "petrol, lighter fluid, nail varnish remover, aerosol gas, etc. are very volatile and dangerous if used incorrectly" and should not be used for this purpose.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites