Woman's house fire death caused by overloaded plug

Scene of house fire in Harehills Police and fire crews were called to the fire in Harehills in the early hours of Wednesday morning

Related Stories

A house fire in Leeds in which a woman in her 60s died was caused by an overloaded electrical extension plug, West Yorkshire Fire Service has said.

Emergency services were called to the house in Brownhill Crescent, Harehills, at about 01:25 GMT on Wednesday.

Firefighters found the unconscious woman, who died shortly afterwards.

The blaze was started by a damaged four-way extension adaptor which was connected to 13 pieces of electrical equipment, investigators concluded.

Three lamps, two televisions, a coffee warmer, a hand-held vacuum, a convector heater, a melted plastic appliance which could not be identified and four four-gang extension sockets were all operating from just one wall socket, investigators discovered.

Ian Bitcon, from West Yorkshire Fire Service, said: "We sincerely hope that this will act as a warning to others to make sure they check extension adaptors are in good working order and not overloaded."

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

Weather

Leeds

16 °C 12 °C

Features & Analysis

  • Cerro RicoSatanic mines

    Devil worship in the tunnels of the man-eating mountain


  • Nefertiti MenoeWar of words

    The woman who sparked a row over 'speaking white'


  • Oil pumpPump change

    What would ending the US oil export ban do to petrol prices?


  • Brazilian Scene, Ceara, in 1893Sir Snapshot

    19th Century Brazil seen through the eyes of an Englishman


Elsewhere on the BBC

  • SailingGame on

    BBC Capital discovers why certain sports seem to have a special appeal for those with deep pockets

Programmes

  • European Union's anti-terrorism chief Gilles de KerchoveHARDtalk Watch

    Anti-terrorism chief Gilles de Kerchove on the threat from returning Islamic State fighters

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.