Leeds & West Yorkshire

Corn on the cob among top 10 most swallowed pet objects

Corn on cob and dog Image copyright PDSA
Image caption Hooch the American bulldog was one of the unlucky corn on the cob swallowers

Twenty-eight pets needed treatment last year after swallowing corn on the cob, according to vet charity the PDSA.

It was the third most common item pets need treatment for after swallowing, with only bones (59) and stones (29) proving to be more hazardous.

PDSA vets dealt with 398 cases in total in 2015, with surgically removed items including toy balls, dummies and socks.

The charity warned owners to keep anything dangerous or easy to swallow "out of paws' reach".

Bradford topped the list of places which saw the highest number of incidents requiring treatment, with 33 in a year. Glasgow was second (23), followed by Gateshead (19).

An American bulldog called Hooch required treatment after eating a corn on the cob husk from a bin.

Owner Sarah Baldwin, from Elland, West Yorkshire, said: "The next day he wasn't himself at all.

"He was sick, he wasn't eating and didn't want to walk."

Hooch had emergency surgery and was discharged two days later.

Image copyright PDSA
Image caption In 2013, PDSA vets treated a cat in Sheffield after it swallowed a radio aerial

Top 10 items swallowed by pets, according to PDSA

  1. Bones (59 cases)
  2. Stones (29)
  3. Corn on the cob (28)
  4. Plastic (25)
  5. Rubber balls (19)
  6. Rubber (19)
  7. Socks (11)
  8. Thread (9)
  9. Babies' dummies (9)
  10. Kebab sticks (7) and peach stones (7)

Rebecca Ashman, a PDSA vet, said: "Pets, especially puppies and younger dogs, like to use their mouth to investigate objects as well as to eat.

"Sometimes a pet will swallow an item by mistake, even though they had only meant to investigate it."

She added: "We might think it's comical but in some cases it is incredibly dangerous and can even prove fatal."

Image copyright PDSA
Image caption An X-ray revealed that this dog had swallowed a rubber ball

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites