Woman, 19, dies after taking ecstasy on night out in Leeds
A 19-year-old woman has died after taking ecstasy during a night out in Leeds, police have said.
The teenager was taken to St James's Hospital in the early hours of Tuesday after becoming ill at the Pryzm nightclub in the city centre.
A post-mortem examination showed she died as a result of hyperthermia and complications related to taking MDMA.
A 19-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of supplying a Class A drug and has been bailed.
Det Insp Phil Jackson, of West Yorkshire Police, issued a warning about the substance, which the woman had taken in powdered form.
"This young woman's family are completely devastated at her death in such sudden and tragic circumstances.
"We are awaiting the outcome of further tests but at this stage it does appear she has died as a result of a reaction to the drug.
"We therefore feel it is important to highlight her death and warn other people who may be considering taking MDMA powder, or anything that is being sold as that, about the potential risks to their health."