Inquest opens into Melton Mowbray police death family

Insp Toby Day in 2010
Image caption Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire officers will assist the investigation into the three deaths

An inquest has been opened and adjourned into the deaths of a former police inspector, his wife and daughter who died at their Leicestershire home.

It is thought Toby Day, 37, from Melton Mowbray, attacked his family before killing himself, on Thursday.

Mr Day was sacked from the Leicestershire force, after a misconduct hearing on 1 December, in relation to misuse of police computers.

Leicestershire Police has appealed for a white van driver to come forward.

Investigating officer Det Ch Supt Andy Hough, of East Midlands major crime unit, said the driver, who travelled along Robin Crescent at about 16:20 GMT, could have information to help the inquiry.

'Respected inspector'

"It is not involved in any way but just happened to drive along the road at the relevant time," he said.

Mr Hough said the couple's two older children, named locally as Kimberley, 15 and Adam, 13, who were also injured were recovering well.

Ivan Stafford, chairman of Leicestershire Police Federation, said Mr Day had been a "very capable and respected inspector".

Mr Day's wife and youngest child, named locally as Samantha and Genevieve, six, were found dead at the semi-detached family home.

Denise Shipstone, head teacher at Saint Francis Primary School, said: "[Genevieve] was a delightful child who we will miss so much.

"Everyone at the school is shocked and upset and we will be working with the local authority to ensure support is provided to pupils and staff at this extremely difficult time."

'No formal interview'

The results of post-mortem examinations have not yet been released.

Mr Hough said of the surviving children: "I can't even start to imagine how they will deal with that trauma and grief.

"They are able to talk to us occasionally but we are not at the stage where we can formally interview either of them."

The force has started a murder inquiry but have confirmed they were not looking for anyone else in connection with the attack.

A spokesman for Loughborough Coroner's Court said no witnesses had been called and the hearing was adjourned pending further inquiries.

The inquests will be resumed next year.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites