Leicester

Dog sets owner's Ashby-de-la-Zouch home on fire

Firefighters had to break down a door to rescue a dog after it set its owner's Leicestershire house on fire, trying to sniff out a pizza.

The Staffordshire bull terrier jumped up to try to get at the pizza, which had been left on top of the cooker, and managed to nudge one of the knobs.

Leicestershire firefighters rescued a cat and a dog from the house on Drew Court, Ashby-de-la-Zouch, on Friday.

Smoke damage was caused to the kitchen but no-one was injured in the fire.

A spokeswoman from Leicestershire Fire and Rescue said: "It would appear the dog tried to get at the pizza and managed to turn on one of the cooker's knobs in doing so.

"The dog was rescued along with a cat. We have no reports to say they were injured in the incident and no-one else was at home at the time."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites