Riley Ward, two, dials 999 after mum collapses
A two-year-old boy has been praised for saving his mother's life by dialling 999 after she collapsed.
East Midlands Ambulance Service said Riley Ward told operators "mummy's asleep".
Paramedics rushed to the house in Barrow upon Soar, Leicestershire, and took his mum to hospital for emergency surgery for a blood clot.
He has now been rewarded for his brave actions by the service who believe he is their youngest ever caller.
His mum, Dana Henry, described him as "mummy's little hero".
The 27-year-old, who lives with her partner Rob Ward, said: "Rob was just as surprised as I was when we realised Riley had dialled 999.
"We had drilled it into both of our children since they were old enough to understand numbers.
End Quote Dana Henry Riley's mum
It made me really proud that Riley knew what to do, we knew he remembered 999 but were so shocked that he was able to put it into action”
"They know that if mummy and daddy are poorly and they can't wake us up they should dial 999."
She added: "It made me really proud that Riley knew what to do, we knew he remembered 999 but were so shocked that he was able to put it into action."
Speaking of the day she collapsed, Ms Henry said: "All I remember is the room getting smaller and smaller and then I opened my eyes when I heard a police officer trying to kick my door down.
"When I gained consciousness I could see that Riley was sat on his toy box looking out of the window at the flashing blue lights.
"I managed to get up and open the door but then collapsed again.
"My head was blurred but I knew I didn't have to worry about Riley because I could hear him laughing in the kitchen with the police officer and an ambulance assistant."
She said the surgeon told her she would have been "very poorly" if she had not gone into hospital.
It was later discovered she had a large blood clot and dangerous bleed on her ovary, after she collapsed in February.
Paul Staples, who was the first paramedic to arrive at the house, said: "When control radio come through and tell you a child has dialled 999 you are immediately concerned for both the child and the patient.
"When I got to Dana's house Riley was stood at the door with a big smile, I think he was excited that he had a police officer and a paramedic in his house.
"He was really interested in all of my equipment and kept coming back to check on his mummy.
"His family must be so proud of his actions, he is a really brave little boy."
Riley received a paramedic teddy bear and a certificate.