Lincolnshire

Lincolnshire homes evacuated in gas explosion and fire

A gas explosion and fire has forced the evacuation of homes in a south Lincolnshire village.

Emergency services were called to Manor Way in Deeping St James, near Stamford, just after 19:00 GMT on Monday.

Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue said a ruptured gas main caused the explosion and fire at an underground sewage pump and electrical switch station.

The area was cordoned off, but has now reopened and residents from four properties have been allowed to return.

Sarah Wilcox, from National Grid, said an investigation had begun: "We don't know at this stage whether it was a build up of sewerage gas or natural gas or something entirely unrelated, so investigations will continue today.

"Fortunately we were able to isolate the gas supply and have managed to keep most people's supplies on - we had one property we had to cut off and we are returning today to restore their supply."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites