Fleet woman, 84, died 'sitting too close to heater' says fire service

Fire damaged annexe building in Fleet, near Holbeach
Image caption The fire broke out at the house in Fleet, near Holbeach, on Thursday evening

Firefighters believe a woman who was killed in a Lincolnshire house blaze may have sat too close to a heater.

The 84-year-old woman died following the fire at her home in Weydike Bank, Fleet near Holbeach, at 19:30 GMT on Thursday.

It is thought the woman had been sat too close to the heater when blankets or her clothing caught fire.

Lincolnshire Fire Service said the blaze had taken hold "extremely quickly".

Three family members, who had tried to tackle the fire before emergency services arrived, were treated in hospital for the effects of breathing in smoke.

The woman's granddaughter told BBC Radio Lincolnshire the family was devastated.

She said her grandmother had come home early from bingo and would not normally have been in the house at the time of the blaze.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites