Lincolnshire

Boa constrictor rescued from gas fire in Gainsborough

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionBilly the boa constrictor

An 8ft (2.4m) long snake got itself into trouble after curling up inside a gas fire and getting trapped.

Billy the boa constrictor was roaming around its owner's living room in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, when it found its way into the heater.

Firefighters had to be called to rescue the pet, who was agitated but not hurt.

The service tweeted: "Not every day you go to a snake rescue! But Billy the boa constrictor needed some help to get out of this tight spot."

'Up the chimney'

Billy's owner, Jane Boor, said "[Billy is] pure muscle - very, very strong and I was frantically holding on to him because I didn't know the chimney was blocked up.

"I had terrible visions of him disappearing up the chimney."

Image copyright Gainsborough FRS
Image caption Firefighters from Gainsborough Fire Service said Billy the boa was rescued after 20 minutes with the use of a screwdriver
Image caption Owner Jane Boor said she had "terrible visions" of Billy disappearing up the chimney"

Andrew Thorpe, of Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue, said around 5ft (1.5m) of the snake was curled inside the gas fire, which was not turned on at the time.

He said: "The owner lets Billy roam around the living room to stretch its legs, as it were!

"He usually curls around the pouffe, but the owner turned her back for a minute and it got in a tiny hole under the fire."

Image copyright Gainsborough FRS
Image caption The snake's owner was relieved to be reunited with her pet

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites