London

New proposal considered to stop third Tube strike

Commuters wait outside station during October's Tube strike
Image caption Services were severely disrupted in the two 24-hour strikes held so far this year

Unions and London Underground (LU) are considering fresh proposals to avert a third 24-hour strike on the Tube.

Earlier LU officials met leaders of the Rail Maritime and Transport union and Transport Salaried Staffs Association at the conciliation service Acas.

Acas said talks were ongoing, adding that it expected a response to its new proposals "in the very near future".

Thousands of Tube workers have already held two 24-hour strikes in protest at plans to cut 800 jobs.

Services on the network were severely disrupted when workers walked out on 6 September and 3 October. Two further strikes are planned for 2 November and 28 November.

Unions claim the axing of jobs and a reduction in ticket office opening hours would also compromise passengers' safety, but LU said staff would be redeployed and this would not result in stations being left without staff.

The fresh round of talks began on Monday and came days after LU announced plans to cut a further 400 office and management jobs and leave an equivalent number of vacancies unfilled.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites