London

RMT Union cancels Tube overtime ban

Commuters wait outside station during October's Tube strike
Image caption Services were severely disrupted during the two 24-hour strikes held so far this year

Union bosses have called off an overtime ban in London Underground's maintenance section.

The RMT union's ban was prompted by a dispute about job losses on the network.

There have been a series of faults on the network over the week, causing massive disruption for Londoners.

The union has now replaced the overtime ban with "work to rule" industrial action, whereby staff will do the bare minimum stipulated in their contracts.

It follows two 24-hour strikes on the Tube over Transport for London's (TfL) plans to cut jobs.

Transport for London (TfL) has already announced some 1,200 jobs in ticket booths and back offices are to be cut, saying reform is necessary because of the financial climate.

'Greater impact'

The RMT has claimed there will actually be about 2,000 job losses.

The sides are to meet for talks at reconciliation service Acas later on Friday.

A TfL spokesman said: "We welcome the RMT's decision to suspend the maintenance overtime ban.

"We will be happy to repeat these assurances to the union leaderships when we meet at Acas and hope they will now call off industrial action."

An RMT spokesman said: "All we have done is replace one action short of a strike with another form of action.

"This new action will maximise effectiveness and have a greater and more immediate impact."

At about 0840 BST the Waterloo and City Line was suspended after a water main burst.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites