Missed chances to catch Kuba Dlugosz over burglary death

Police missed opportunities to catch a man subsequently responsible for the death of an 83-year-old woman in north London, it has emerged.

Eveline Kelmenson was tied up during a burglary in 2008 and left alone. She could not escape and froze to death.

Kuba Dlugosz robbed her while he was on the run after convictions in Poland.

The Metropolitan Police arrested him twice in 2008 over two attempted burglaries but failed to properly check his identity or if he was a wanted man.

Dlugosz, 33, of no fixed address, had denied manslaughter, burglary and robbery, but was found guilty at the Old Bailey on Thursday.

He has been remanded in custody until sentencing on 22 July.

The jury was unable to reach a verdict on the same charges against Szymon Wyrostek, 26, of Tottenham, north London. He faces a retrial.

DNA discovered

Dlugosz was a serial robber and burglar who had been convicted of offences in his native Poland.

He disappeared in 2007 and entered the UK using a false name.

Polish police issued a European arrest warrant for him in June 2008.

In October of that year - a month before breaking into Miss Kelmenson's home - Dlugosz burgled Sharon's Bakery, in Stamford Hill, north London.

Dlugosz's DNA was found at the scene but he was not identified at the time.

The Metropolitan Police had at least two other opportunities to enact the European arrest warrant, however.

Tied up

In November 2008, Dlugosz was arrested for criminal damage after he tried to break into a house which was owned by an elderly woman in Ilford.

He was sentenced to one day of detention.

A few days later, Dlugosz forced a panel to a door in Stamford Hill.

He was arrested and given police bail, but no further action was taken.

The Old Bailey heard that on 27 November 2008, Dlugosz broke into Miss Kelmenson's house in Leweston Place, Stamford Hill.

She was tied up and gagged, and her gold necklace and a wedding ring - a family heirloom - were stolen before she was left to die.

Dlugosz was arrested over Miss Kelmenson's death in July 2010.

More on this story