London man admitted raid after seeing his picture

Aaron Douglas
Image caption Aaron Douglas recognised himself in this CCTV image

An 18-year-old who broke into a London jewellers during the riots handed himself in to police after his picture was published by news organisations.

Before City of Westminster Magistrates, Aaron Douglas admitted breaking into Crystal Palace Jewellers and stealing goods worth £6,100 on 9 August.

The court heard his father had encouraged him to contact to police.

Douglas, of Gibbs Square, Norwood Park, south-east London, was remanded in custody until a hearing yet to be set.

The district judge warned Douglas, who will be sentenced at Inner London Crown Court, a custodial sentence was inevitable.

Furniture store

A vigil was taking place on Saturday night in memory of a man attacked during rioting in Ealing on Monday night.

Sixty-eight year-old Richard Bowes later died in hospital.

Scotland Yard said a man had been arrested on suspicion of his murder, rioting and carrying out three burglaries.

A 33-year-old man became the fourth person arrested in connection with a fire which destroyed the family-owned Reeves furniture store in Croydon, south London, on Monday.

Saturday's arrest, on suspicion of arson with intent to endanger life, follows the arrests of a 15-year-old boy and 21-year-old man earlier in the week. Both are on bail.

A 25-year-old man was released without charge.

On Saturday the Metropolitan Police released a further 44 images of people they want to speak to about about the riots in London last week.

The latest images relate to looting and violent disorder in Peckham, Hackney, Wandsworth and Hornsey on 7 and 8 August.

This comes as the force revealed a total of 1,271 people have been arrested and 745 people charged in connection with the riots in the capital.

Cycle shop

Among those appearing in court on Saturday were two men who denied breaking into Seba Electronics in Broadway, West Ealing, and stealing a haul of goods including plasma televisions.

Clive Owori, 23, of Benfleet Court, Queensbridge Road, Hackney, east London, and Santos St John, 30, of Theseus Walk, Islington, north London, denied burglary and theft.

Both were remanded in custody and are due to appear at Wood Green Crown Court on 9 September.

Reece Jackson, 18, of Holly Park Estate, north London, appeared in court accused of two counts of violent disorder, one attempted burglary and three burglaries over two days during the riots.

He is accused of breaking into My Cycle bike shop in Barnsbury Street, north London, and stealing £20,000 worth of cycles.

On the same day he is accused of breaking into Food City and stealing £595 cash, 20 packets of cigarettes and causing £3,000 damage.

He is also accused of breaking into Shriji News in north London, stealing items worth £2,450 and causing £1,150 damage.

He was remanded in custody by City of Westminster magistrates until a hearing at Wood Green Crown Court on 6 September.