London

Ali Dizaei to be given Met Police job back

Former Met Police commander Ali Dizaei is to get his job back after winning an appeal against his dismissal.

Mr Dizaei, 49, was sacked after he was jailed last year for misconduct and perverting the course of justice. His convictions were overturned in May.

The Police Appeals Tribunal ruled on Thursday that the commander should be reinstated.

But the Metropolitan Police Authority (MPA) suspended Mr Dizaei on full pay until after next year's retrial.

An MPA spokesman said: "After careful deliberation the committee unanimously decided to suspend him.

"Suspension is not a disciplinary sanction and it is emphasised that suspension should not be taken as a presumption of guilt."

'Hasty and unfair'

His lawyers, PSB Law, say he would consider challenging the suspension in the courts.

The lawyers said in a statement: "Commander Dizaei has always maintained his previous dismissal pending his criminal appeal was in haste and unfair.

"That appeal was heard in May of this year and resulted in the quashing of Commander Dizaei's criminal convictions.

"Commander Dizaei has ongoing proceedings in the Employment Tribunal against the Metropolitan Police Authority relating to the way in which Commander Dizaei has been treated over a substantial period of time."

The commander, who had served as a police officer for 24 years before being sacked, said: "I am delighted to be reinstated.

"I have always wanted to be a Met Police officer and now vow to clear my name."

He now hopes to resume his £90,000-a-year role.

Mr Dizaei was released in May after 15 months in prison which he described as "hell" and "like putting a hand in a wasps' nest".

He will face a retrial in 2012 accused of misconduct in a public office and perverting the course of justice.

Restaurant scuffle

Mr Dizaei was charged over an incident outside the Persian Yas restaurant in Kensington, west London, in July 2008.

Mr Dizaei arrested Waad Al-Baghdadi after having a scuffle with him, and has been accused of knowing there were no reasonable grounds to detain him.

He is also alleged to have perverted the course of justice by falsely claiming in written statements that he was the victim of an unprovoked assault by Mr Al-Baghdadi.

Mr Dizaei pleaded not guilty to the charges in June.

His original conviction was overturned after Court of Appeal judges said the conviction "cannot be regarded as safe".

More on this story