Harrow yard blaze homes evacuated
About 2,000 people were evacuated from their homes when a fire broke out at a mechanics' yard in north-west London.
About 30 firefighters tackled the blaze after being called to the car workshop in Kenton Lane, Harrow, at 18:30 BST on Monday.
Officials helped with the evacuation amid fears the intense heat would cause gas cylinders on the site to explode.
One did explode prior to crews arriving but no-one was hurt and the fire was under control by 23:30.
Firefighters from Stanmore, Harrow, Mill Hill, Wembley and Hendon fire stations fought the blaze.
All residents, who were taken to nearby community centres and a church, were allowed back into their homes in the early hours of Tuesday.
Northolt Station Manager Turan Turan said: "There was quite a large explosion but fortunately it was contained within the storage area.
"The explosion and fire caused extensive damage but fortunately no-one was injured.
"It was a difficult job but crews worked incredibly hard to prevent the fire from spreading and managed to cool down the other gas cylinders and in doing so prevented further potential explosions."
It is thought there were about 25 gas cylinders at the site, including propane and acetylene cylinders, which are particularly hazardous when exposed to heat.