Charlene Pickering killed trying to get phone from tracks

Charlene Pickering
Image caption Charlene Pickering had a four-year-old son

A young mother was killed when she was struck by an express train at a south-west London station as she was trying to retrieve her phone.

Charlene Pickering, 23, from Walton-on-Thames, Surrey, was hit by an express train on Sunday at Wimbledon station.

Police are looking at whether she had had an argument before she dropped her phone.

In a statement, her family said their "world has been shattered" by her death.

"Charlene was the light of our lives and with her infectious smile she brightened the world of all who knew her," the statement said.

"She is survived by her four-year-old son Toby, who will fortunately have the support of his loving father Owen and his many family and friends to help him through this traumatic time."

'Fond memories'

Her boyfriend Daniel Pickett said on Facebook he would "never forget" her.

He wrote: "I really am not looking forward 2 spending my life without you we had made so many plans and they have been so cruelly taken.

"I am so lucky to [have] had you in my life even though it was only nearly 4 months."

He had earlier written that he was going to watch Chelsea against Portsmouth at Stamford Bridge with Miss Pickering.

Andrew Kelly, a councillor from Walton-on-Thames, left a message on Twitter saying he was at school with Miss Pickering.

"Very shocked to hear of the death of an old school friend at Wimbledon Station last night. Far, far too young. RIP."

He later posted: "It's really tragic. Thoughts are with her family. I have fond memories of her from Rydens [school], she was in my tutor group."

Miss Pickering was pronounced dead at the scene after being hit by the Waterloo to Exeter express train.

Ch Insp Alison Evans, from British Transport Police, said: "We believe at this stage that the woman went on to the tracks to retrieve her mobile phone before being struck by the train.

"This appears to have been a tragic accident and our thoughts remain with the woman's family at this very difficult and sad time for them."

Police investigators are preparing a report for the coroner.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites