Residents escape Swiss Cottage tower block fire

More than 100 people had to be evacuated from a tower block in north-west London after a fire started.

Flames took hold of the 22-storey building in Swiss Cottage at about 22:00 GMT on Monday.

The 17th floor was partially gutted and 130 people were taken to a nearby community centre.

It took firefighters more than three hours to bring the fire under control. The London Fire Brigade said no-one was injured during the incident.

Station manager Rod Horton, who was at the scene, said: "This was a big block of flats and at this time of night a lot of people were inside the building.

"Crews worked extremely hard to get the fire under control and to confine the fire to the seventeenth floor."

'Huge amount of papers'

He added: "The cause of the fire was accidental and is believed to have been caused by a candle setting alight some papers.

"There were a huge amount of papers, magazines and books stored in the flat.

"People should try to avoid storing large amounts of this sort of material as it increases the chances of having a fire in the first place and intensifies the spread of fire if one does occur."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites