Gang members guilty of East Dulwich bus stab murder

Daniel Graham
Image caption Daniel Graham was attacked in front of bus passengers in south-east London

Three gang members are facing life sentences for stabbing a youth 24 times in 45 seconds in south-east London.

Daniel Graham, 18, from East Dulwich, was attacked with knives and a bottle as he jumped off a bus in January 2011.

He was helped back on to the 176 bus by passengers but died from his injuries, the Old Bailey heard.

Jordan Williams, 17, Colin Aghatise, 16, both from Peckham, south London, and Lennie John, 24, from south London, were found guilty of murder.

They were remanded in custody for sentencing on Thursday.

Judge Timothy Pontius lifted an order banning identification of the two youngest defendants.

He said it was justified "in the context in which Daniel Graham was slaughtered in a vicious attack during which he suffered 24 knife wounds".

Trouble flared up at an under-18s event at Dulwich Hamlet Football Club in south east London earlier in the evening, Duncan Penny, prosecuting, said.

Shot fired

A row broke out between Mr Graham's friends and another group of youths, the court heard.

"Daniel's group was punched and knives were produced and it appears a firearm was discharged and at least one shot was fired," said Mr Penny.

"Daniel's group fled the party and their escape route took them past East Dulwich railway station.

"They were pursued by members of the defendants' group."

Mr Graham had tried to take refuge on the double-decker bus before changing his mind and jumping off.

But he was attacked in front of passengers by a large group of youths who subjected him to "a volley of punches, kicks and stamps".

Seen on YouTube

The attack "lasted in the region of 45 seconds," Mr Penny added. "In that short period he had received 24 stab wounds, having been descended upon by a group of murderers."

Passengers made the driver drive off while Mr Graham, who was covered in blood, was laid across two seats by a nurse and her sister.

After seeing some of the attackers at the next stop, the bus drove on until police and an ambulance reached it in Lordship Lane.

Williams and John were identified by a youth who had viewed them singing a rap on YouTube.

DNA belonging to Aghatise was found on a broken bottle with Mr Graham's blood on it.

Mr Graham had gained seven GCSEs and did voluntary work for the NSPCC children's charity in his spare time.

His mother Stephanie said in an impact statement to the court: "Everyone loved Daniel. He was instantly likeable to all who knew him."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites