Restriction zones imposed on canals around Olympic Park
A restriction zone has been put in place to control moorings on and access to canals around the Olympic Park.
The 15-mile control zone will be in place from Tuesday until 10 September.
This will affect boats which need to move along the canals every 14 days, the Canal and River Trust said.
The restrictions apply to a section of canals running through central London, up to Little Venice on the Regent's Canal, Lea Bridge Road on the Lee Navigation and the Limehouse Basin.
The Canal and River Trust, the charity managing the waterways, said boats which have permission for permanent mooring will not be affected.
'Inevitable security restrictions'
But if continuous cruisers want to moor in the restricted zone they would have to pay for designated Olympic mooring, which would cost between £50 and £350 a week.
Boats could also buy a £36 per week summer mooring permit - on a first-come-first-served basis - which allows vessels to use any mooring inside the restricted area which was not owned or a dedicated Olympic mooring.
But those who do not want to moor in the restricted zone, the 14-day requirement could be waived for 10 weeks at no extra cost.
Jason Leach, from the trust, said: "The inevitable security restrictions, coupled with the need to accommodate the many people who want to visit London, including in canal boats and yachts, has to be managed and the Canal and River Trust has worked hard with security services, Games organisers and boaters to accommodate as many people's needs as possible.
"The controlled zone will mean that, for security reasons, some areas of the canal in and around the Olympic Park area will be closed.
"Some areas will have restricted access. However, wherever possible we have made sure disruption is kept to a minimum."
Restrictions in place:
- Hertford Union - top and bottom lock will be closed
- Commercial Road Lock on the Regent's Canal - closed but available between 4-6pm by pre-booking
- Lea Bridge, Little Venice and Limehouse - checkpoints in place
- Transit past the Olympic Park - available between 06:00 BST to 09:00 BST and 19:00 BST and 21:00 BST by pre-booking
- Visitors from Teddington or Brentford need to book passage into Limehouse Basin
- Floating barriers located at the A11 and A12 near the Olympic Park
- The towpath from the A11 to the A12 will be closed