Tributes to Rio Andrew, who died after Croydon rave
A teenager who died after attending an illegal rave in south London was an "exceptional sportsman" and "destined for academic success", his school said.
Rio Andrew, 15, who attended Holland Park School, in Kensington, died on Monday after falling ill in the early hours of Sunday morning.
The event at a disused sorting office on Cherry Orchard Road, in East Croydon, was attended by 1,300 people.
Police believe Rio's death was drug-related but are awaiting test results.
The school said it "deeply regrets this sad loss of a much respected student".
"Rio was an able scholar, destined for academic success," the school's statement said.
"He was also an exceptional sportsman and due to be awarded this Friday, a prestigious sports award.
"The school wishes to send its collective sympathies and respect to all of Rio's family and friends. He will be greatly missed by the school community."
Rio, who was a member of the Thames Valley Harriers athletics club, was the English Schools under-15 shot put champion in 2013. The club said it was in "great shock" at the news of his death.
Commander Simon Letchford, of the Met Police, confirmed that police believed Rio had taken drugs before his death.
He said: "We've got a number of lines of inquiry that we're following but we believe he's taken some sort of drug that's had an adverse effect on him."
The force has also launched an inquiry into the handling of intelligence about the party after information was received, but not acted upon.
In a statement, the Met Police said: "We received a single piece of intelligence on 5 June to suggest that an event may take place at the location on 14 June, although no time was indicated when this would take place.
"The information was reviewed by a local intelligence officer, but no further action was taken. We are now conducting an internal review into how this intelligence was handled."
The leader of Croydon Council, Tony Newman, said: "The understanding in Croydon is that information was not passed on to the local police.
"We need to understand the information flow that is taking place in the Met - whether it's Croydon or anywhere else - we simply can't have a similar event taking place."
A 19-year-old man, who was also taken ill at the event, remains in hospital in a stable condition. Six other people who were taken to hospital have been discharged.
Mr Newman said the Royal Mail, which owns the disused sorting office, had a responsibility to secure it.
A spokesperson for Royal Mail said the company had contacted the police after squatters entered the building last week.
"Given events over the weekend, we yesterday sought an emergency court order to remove the squatters, and this has been granted," it said.
He added that all the squatters had left the building and the premises had been made secure.
A total of 14 people have been arrested in connection with the event, police said.