London

Clapham house fire caused by crystal doorknob

The room in a Clapham house where the fire started Image copyright London Fire Brigade
Image caption The fire in Clapham was started when sunlight refracted through a crystal doorknob

A house fire was caused by sunlight refracting through a crystal doorknob.

The fire in Clapham, south London, was started when the sun's refracted rays shone onto a dressing gown, which then set alight.

The house was empty at the time and a smoke alarm alerted nearby builders, who called the fire brigade.

The blaze on Monday was the latest of several fires in London started by household fittings.

Image copyright London Fire Brigade
Image caption London Fire Brigade has reported several fires caused by household fittings
Image copyright London Fire Brigade
Image caption No one was hurt in the Clapham fire
Image copyright London Fire Brigade
Image caption The fire service has warned people to keep crystal ornaments away from sunlight

The Clapham fire follows an incident in Romford when light refracting through a crystal ball set a pair of curtains alight.

Firefighters have warned people to keep crystal furnishings out of direct sunlight and away from sunny window sills.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites